Okay, I’ll admit I didn’t create this design with lifesavers in mind. Really I was bored today and decided to do my nails, I took a chance on a design that I came up with literally seconds before I stared, the end result was surprisingly impressive and I then realized that they kind of looked like lifesavers! LOL
Here’s how to create your own “lifesaver inspired nails”
What You’ll Need:
- Top & Base Coat
- A Tip Color (I used Eggshell White from OPI but you can use any color you want)
- A Strip Color (Same applies here, I used OPI Red)
- Nail Polish Remover
- Cotton Pads
- Cotton Swabs
For explaining purposes I’m going to use the nail colors I choose but you can do this with any two colors you want.
- Just like any other way you start when doing your nails, apply the base coat to all your nails.
- Take the white polish and apply it to the tips of your nails. Start in the middle of your nails, keep the brush flat as this fans it out and applies the polish to move of the nail this helps speed up the process. When you finish your nails will look like a regular manicure
- Take the Red and make sure that all the excessive polish is off, this is really important as too much polish will make the line too thick and cover too much of the tip color. Using just the tip of the brush start at one end of the nail and slowly draw a thin line directly below the white polish. Try to draw it in one continuous movement as this will create a solid line, don’t worry if you can’t do it the first time it will require some practice especially if your using your non dominate hand.
- Wait a bit for the polish to dry and apply the top coat
- If you’ve happened to get some nail polish on the sides of your nails, which is common, take your cotton swab dip the tip into the nail polish remover. Take the nail polish soaked swab, using the side of the swab, lightly rub it on your skin where any polish is on. Be careful not to rub it too close to your nail, you just want to remove the polish from your skin not the nail.
That’s it you are done! Don’t worry if you have trouble with the strip, free hand designs are tricky and take practice, if you mess up that’s why you have the cotton pads to wipe it off and start again! If you’re really inexperienced you might want someone else to do your writing hand as applying polish to you dominate hand (in my experience) is always harder. If you have long hair you might want to tie it back, applying the strip does require a bit of concentration and you don’t want your hair getting in the way.